Winston-Salem is an optimal location for retirees to call home!
In the August 2022 issue of Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, the business and finance magazine included Winston-Salem, NC, in their vetted lineup of “Standout Places to Retire”. Kiplinger made their selections based on several factors that Kiplinger identified as important to retirees, such as cost of living, access to quality healthcare, and proximity to family and friends.
In this article, we elaborate on Kiplinger’s highlights of Winston-Salem to offer you a unique, local perspective.
Arts and Culture
- The historic Stevens Center, which began as a silent movie theater, is the venue of choice for performances by the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, the Piedmont Opera, the Winston-Salem Symphony, and more. Arbor Acres often provides transportation to performances here.
- The Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art (SECCA), little more than two miles from Arbor Acres, is a hub of multimedia galleries, exhibitions and events.
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art, also located around the corner from our community, is a renowned gallery offering ever-changing experiences and historic exhibitions. Many Arbor Acres residents partake in memberships or simply enjoy the scenic walking trails.
Business and Education
The recent revitalization of Winston-Salem’s downtown scene is counterbalanced by the steady presence of prestigious higher education institutions.
- Innovation Quarter is the downtown site of many renovated historic industrial buildings, bringing in new business, entrepreneurial opportunities, and medical and tech partnerships – not to mention state-of-the-art research, spearheaded by the Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine.
- Wake Forest University, a top-ranking college in the U.S., offers many resources and opportunities throughout the community. Arbor Acres often hosts faculty members as guest speakers.
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts (UNCSA) is another top university and the nation’s first public arts conservatory. Evening concerts by the talented student musicians are a staple at Arbor Acres.
- Winston-Salem boasts seven hospitals in the area, ensuring professional healthcare is never far.
- Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is the academic site for the prestigious Wake Forest School of Medicine and has 885 beds.
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center has 921 beds, as well as an extensive network of healthcare professionals and providers throughout Forsyth County.
- Over 25 miles of greenways snake through the city of Winston-Salem and are popular for walking, biking, and other leisurely activities.
- Salem Lake is popular amongst fishermen and kayakers. The seven-mile circumferential loop is also frequented by dog walkers, bikers and horseback riders. The wide dirt paths are well-maintained and perfect for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages.
- The moderate climate allows for year-round outdoor activities. Croquet is an especially popular sport among residents of Arbor Acres, featuring a spring and fall tournament, cookout, classes, and more on campus.
Looking to take advantage of all that Winston-Salem has to offer retirees, which reaches far beyond that which is listed here? Arbor Acres’ endless connections within the community ensure that you can. Please fill out the contact form here to schedule a tour. We look forward to greeting you!