Arbor Acres Updates: COVID-19
These are unprecedented times, and the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) has placed us in uncharted territory. During this period of uncertainty, Arbor Acres is committed to keeping you informed about how we are helping maintain the health and safety of residents and staff.
Several weeks ago, Arbor Acres formed a Coronavirus Task Force consisting of senior management and directors from all departments and levels of care. The Task Force is meeting frequently and is continually monitoring the development of COVID-19, following updates, and implementing recommendations from local, state, and national health officials, including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The Task Force will continue to respond in a timely manner to developments in this ever-changing health threat.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we implement difficult but recommended measures to protect and keep Arbor Acres as healthy as possible.
We will use this page to keep you up to date on how Arbor Acres continues to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Current COVID-19 Protocols
Here is a summary of the protocols Arbor Acres has in place as of June 1, 2020.
- Facemasks Required. Resdients and staff are now required to wear face masks whenever they are in or passing through common areas on campus, walking with small groups outdoors that are practicing safe social distancing protocols, or interacting with healthcare staff.
- Grocery Delivery Service Offered. Arbor Acres has arranged with our vendor, Pride of the Morning, to provide "grocery boxes" for independent living residents twice a week, starting Friday, March 27, 2020. Order days are Mondays and Wednesdays, and delivery days are Wednesdays and Fridays. The boxes will contain fixed items that will change week to week but will include meats, produce (fruits and veggies), milk. and juice. Boxes will be delivered directly to residents' doors.
- On-Campus Beauty Shops and Fitness Center to Close. To comply with NC Gov. Roy Cooper's executive order announced on Monday, March 23, 2020, all three beauty shops on Arbor Acres' campus as well as the Tomlinson Wellness Center (including pools and exercise areas) will close by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, March 25, 2020.
- Campus Closed to Visitors. Arbor Acres serves a population of people who are at high risk for COVID-19. On Friday, March 13, following CMS guidelines, we closed our campus to all visitors, including family and friends, until further notice. The only exceptions to this rule are families of those under physician-approved end-of-life care, and approved vendors.
- Dining Rooms Closed. All dining rooms across campus are closed. Arbor Acres is providing each resident in independent living areas with two boxed meals per day that are available for pick up during the lunch hour. Residents in Asbury Place/Assisted Living and Strickland Place/Skilled Nursing are receiving three meals per day delivered to their apartments and rooms. Residents in Arborview/Memory Care are eating meals in small groups in three separate designated areas.
- Group Activities Cancelled. All scheduled group activities and events have been cancelled. At this time, residents may gather in small groups provided they practice safe social distancing guidelines.
- Campus Transportation Cancelled. All medical transportation has been halted, except for emergency appointments, which are evaluated on a case by case basis. All on-campus transportation has been cancelled.
- Travel Discouraged. Residents are being asked not to leave campus. Beginning Monday, March 23rd, at noon, residents who leave the campus will be strongly encouraged to self-isolate for 14 days. If during those 14 days residents leave campus again, then they will be asked to start over. For residents who are self-isolating, there will be no housekeeping, and meals will be delivered to their doors.
- Increased Cleaning Standards. Housekeeping staff has stepped up the frequency of cleaning common areas. Residents and staff are being reminded to practice social distancing guidelines and the frequent washing of hands.
- Temperature Checks at the Front Gate. On a 24/7 basis, everyone entering campus--residents, staff, approved vendors--must have their temperatures checked each time they enter campus. Staff and approved vendors with temperatures of 100 degrees or higher are turned away. Residents returning to campus with a temperature of 100 degrees or higher must immediately report to their residences and self-quarantine for 14 days after letting Arbor Acres’ medical staff know of their illness.
- Healthcare Entrances Locked 24/7. All entrances to Asbury Place/Assisted Living and Fitzgerald Center/Skilled Nursing & Memory Care are now locked 24/7. Only essential health care personnel have access, with very limited access to those residents who live outside of those buildings, but who need physical, occupational and speech therapies.
- Mitigating Isolation. We are aware that social distancing protocols can have a negative effect on the mental health of residents, and Arbor Acre staff are working on ways to address this. In independent living, Wellness Arts and IT staff are working to utilize our in-house TV station and the Wellzesta app available on iPads to direct residents to interesting content that can supplement our cable line-up and the streaming services to which they have access. In our licensed healthcare areas, the Life Enrichment team, chaplains, nursing and dining staff are working together to provide one-on-one visits in residents’ rooms that include exercise, reading materials, music and games. At the moment, we are also conducting some small group activities outside of residents’ rooms, using social distancing protocols. We are also encouraging residents and staff to communicate with families using FaceTime and Skype.
Here are links to additional information that you may find useful. We will keep these resources updated on an ongoing basis.